BBQ Chicken Thighs with Roast Veg
I think that the BBQ is one of my fav kitchen tools! There's plenty of realestate to cook up a decent family meal, it's easy to clean*, the flavour is pretty awesome and the perfect way to keep the smoke, smells and heat out of the house!
Chicken thighs are awesome on the BBQ! If you sear them on the grill first, some of the fat renders off (be careful though - the flames can jump). And before the weather warms up too much - I paired these ones up with some mixed roast veg ... delish!
Free Range Chicken Thighs - enough to feed your crew plus a few extra **
Salt and Pepper
- Take the chicken thighs
- Chop the Cauli into florets, eggplant into 1cm thick rounds, zucchini and carrot into 1/2cm rounds and peel the onions
- Arrange the veg onto baking trays in a single layer, add a good glug of olive oil, season to taste and mix them right on the baking trays so the veggies are well coated
- Bake in a moderate oven for approx 1 hour - or until you can see that they are browning
- Fire up your BBQ
- Once the BBQ is hot pop on the chicken onto the grill
- Sear on each side and flip regularly - be careful of the wayward flames
- If they are starting to blacken on the outside - transfer them to the BBQ plate
- It takes me about 15 minutes to cook the chicken through - but you should check yours to make sure they are cooked properly
Serve and enjoy!
My kids love cauliflower, carrots and zucchini like this, however they're still warming up to the taste of eggplant and onion - so I left it off their plates for this time
* To clean your BBQ save half and onion with the skin on. While the BBQ is still hot, use your spatula to scrap off any excess food and then run the cut onion over the plate and grill ... cleanest BBQ ever!
** I always cook a few extra thighs, they're great for salads or sandwiches the next day