It was my Dad’s birthday yesterday - 77 years young! This year I decided to pay homage to his mother, my grandmother and bake his all time favourite - Sponge Cake. I tweaked it a little to make it refined sugar, dairy and gluten free. The result was pretty close to the real deal.
3 eggs, separated
¾ cup rapadura sugar
1 tbs maple syrup
¾ cup cornflour
1 tbs rice flour
1 tsp baking powder
Fresh cream and strawberries to serve
- Preheat oven to 190 C, then grease and line 2 x 20cm round cake tins
- Beat egg whites until stiff and forming peaks
- Beat in sugar, then yolks, then maple syrup
- Sift in flours and baking powder, then fold through the egg mixture with a metal spoon
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and bake for 20 minutes or until cake springs back to the touch
- Rest for 5 minutes before turning onto wire racks to cool
- Beat the cream until thick, slice in half about 10 strawberries
- After the cake is completely cool, place one cake on a serving plate, spread with half the cream and sliced strawberries, sandwich with the other cake, spread with the remaining cream and decorate with strawberries.