Week nights are pretty hectic in our house. Can any of you relate? Tuesdays top the list with three children needing to be in three separate locations for three separate activities. We make it work and we love the hustle and bustle it brings into our lives. It does, however, make dinner a little challenging on a Tuesday night. After a full day at work, I usually fly in the door around 5:30pm. I feel like a contestant on one of the cooking shows trying to plate up a meal in a time challenge. The whole family is famished by the time they get home!
Introducing Savoury Mince! Quick, cheap, easy, nutritious and particularly comforting on a cooler evening. It’s also one of those dishes that hides challenging vegetables really well. I like to think of it as a healthy pie!
2 kg of vegetables of your choice, finely chopped
(I used carrot, zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, mushroom and capsicum)
1 tbs butter
1 onion, finely diced
1 tbs cornflour, stirred into 2 tbs water
salt and pepper to taste
bread of choice to serve
- In a large saucepan melt the butter over a medium heat, add the onion and fry until translucent
- Add mince and cook until browned, ensure it is thoroughly broken up
- Add vegetables and stir through the meat
- Reduce heat to low and cover, allow to simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are cooked
- Add cornflour mixture, turn heat to high and stir constantly until mixture is thick
- Season to taste and serve with your favourite bread (or just eat from a bowl)