Sweet Potato Soup
With the mercury dropping it’s time to dust off the soup section of the recipe arsenal. There’s nothing more comforting than warming yourself up from the inside - especially when it’s with a bowl full of the good stuff! I use homemade bone broth in this recipe (I’ll put up the recipe for it soon - but you can also purchase a good quality one from health food stores). It is full of good bacteria and minerals which are great little battlers of winter-loving germs. Adding sweet potato to the mix helps to disguise the broth for those members of the family that are little averse to consuming it straight.
Time to listen to that old wive’s tale and ward off the winter nasties with a good ol’ chicken (broth) soup!
1kg orange sweet potato cut into 2 cm rounds
2 large french shallots (or red onions), peeled
2.5 L chicken bone broth
2 tbs olive oil
2 tbs ground cumin
2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C
- Coat the sweet potato and onion in the oil, cumin and salt
- Roast for 1 hour or until golden
- Bring the stock to boil in a large pot, add the roasted vegetables, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes
- Remove from heat and blend with a heat resistant stick blender until smooth
- Serve with your favourite soup sides
Tip: Coconut cream, bacon bits or kale chips love to be eaten with this soup