The Ems Soup
Running with the soup theme of our winter recipes, this week is another one to warm the cockles on a crisp winter weeknight.
It does come with a story …
Between the hours of 12 and 2, our office microwaves run hot. Real estate on their circular glass plates comes at a premium. Wafts of deliciousness travel through the office teasing taste buds and sparking plenty of food envy.
Food is a favourite past time of my particular department and often a hot topic of conversation.
On their stroll from office to car on a clear, brisk, evening last week, one of my colleagues, Emily, was discussing how she’d enjoyed the soupy goodness of her chicken noodle soup for lunch with another colleague, Emily. I couldn’t help but overhear and offered to create a recipe to challenge the store-bought version over which they were both drooling.
Go on girls, you know you were!
This recipe is for you … and anyone else who feels like a bowl full of brothy, chicken soul-warming yum!
4 L chicken broth or stock
1 onion, finely diced
3 medium carrots, chopped
3 medium zucchini, chopped
4 corn cobs, kernels removed
2 tbs corn flour
¼ cup tamari sauce
250 g soba noodles
250 g precooked chicken breast
salt to taste
- Melt butter in a large saucepan, add onion and fry over a medium heat until translucent
- Add remaining vegetables and fry until slightly golden
- Add flour and fry for about 1 minute and vegetables are well coated
- Add stock and tamari, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes
- Add noodles and simmer for a further 10 minutes
- Roughly tear in chicken breast
- Season to taste and enjoy